Sunday, May 30, 2010

Summer is a time to write

Just when the weather is warming up and hay fever season is in full swing, I'm not teaching or grading. It's time to write. I must be pretty dedicated, because I'm spending hours inside glued to a computer when I could be outside. It's a good thing, too. I've gotten lots done. It took me most of the winter months to schedule some writing in amongst the teaching and grading and write 60 pages of my latest (and coolest so far) novel. In the past couple of weeks, I've added 70 pages and the ideas are flowing. Yesterday I moved over to my father's to take care of him (90 years old with failing health), so the writing will slow down some, but not as slow as during the winter months. What else am I going to do while he's lying down to take a nap? So, maybe I can get a first draft done in a few weeks. Then I can work on the next book that has been taking shape in my head. It's very different from anything I've worked on before--kind of interesting, actually. The more I think about it, the stranger it gets--in a good way, I hope. To quote Alice, "Curioser and curioser." Anyway, I digress. The main point that I wanted to make is that there are sacrifices that must be made when I want something very badly and staying indoors on lovely days is one of them.

No comments: