Friday, June 18, 2010

The Duck Steps Here

This week I went to Kentucky. I stayed in a four star hotel and ate catered meals (most of which I couldn't eat more of than the salad because I am gluten intolerant) and I graded over 1,050 tests for question #1 in AP Language. Of course, at times the things those high school seniors wrote made absolutely no sense. For instance, "The duck steps here." I stared at that phrase for several seconds before I read on, convinced that some things were never meant to be understood. However, a few lines down, the student made a reference to President Truman and a light went on in my brain. Didn't President Truman say, "The buck stops here"? I looked back at the phrase, "The duck steps here" and realized that the rather messy handwriting had reversed the b and made a loopy thing at the top of the o in stops. The student had indeed meant to write "The buck stops here," but had failed to take care in forming the letters. Ah, I said to myself, there is a lesson to be learned here. Understanding is crucial to communication. I tell my students to write in a clear and concise manner for a good reason--so they can be understood. Writing with care--it's something that could save the world. Maybe more people would believe me if I could get Miss America to say it in response to her interview question.

No comments: